In any establishment, the condition of the restroom speaks volumes about the level of concern the company or building administrators have for the public and/or those with whom they do business. Smelly and dingy restrooms call to mind germs, disease, and infection. The lack of hygienic measures sends the message that the company or the building administrators are irresponsible about health and sanitation. Such an image is detrimental to business.
From the time that civilization took hold, reputations have been highly important as a means of fostering good social relations. Earning a reputation for being an unhygienic, stinky, and disgusting place can earn not only the disgust of the public, it could also be:
- Grounds for a lawsuit, in case someone decides that you are endangering their health through your willful neglect of basic sanitary standards
- Grounds for a hefty fine to be levied against you, or the suspension or loss of your license to operate your business
The loss or suspension of license is not farfetched, particularly if your line of business is related to sectors or industries that require the observance of strict sanitary standards. Examples of businesses and companies in these sectors and industries are hotels, hospitals, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverage manufacturers or processors.
However, whether you belong to those sectors and industries or not, it is always a good practice to have a clean and fresh-smelling restroom. Towards that end, a urinal mat can be highly helpful.
Urinal Mats vs. Bacteria and Mess
Urine is a waste product of our bodies. It contains 95% water. The remaining 5% is made up of solids that are either suspended or dissolved. These solids include chloride, creatinine, bicarbonate, urea, potassium, and sodium ions.
Ordinarily, the odor of urine is not that bothersome. However, the food that we eat, the medicines we take, the amount of water we drink, the condition of our body, and our lifestyle as a whole, can contribute to make urine smell awful. This is particularly true when urine is spilled on the ground, and left there to accumulate in a messy puddle. This situation is very common in poorly maintained public urinals.
Odor-causing bacteria and other germs can breed in urine puddles in a whiz (pun intended). Discoloration of the floor can occur as well as damage to the floor itself. This especially true for tile floors. Insects such as cockroaches are attracted to smelly, dank, and dirty places and they may decide to make your restroom their home. Yikes!
How to Avoid Expensive Maintenance
It is close to impossible to ceaselessly monitor the condition of a public restroom, unless maintenance personnel were hired on a 24/7 basis, especially for those companies or buildings that have heavy traffic.
Hiring people simply to see to it that there are no puddles of urine on the floor is not the way to go. The practical solution is the use of urinal mats.
Here are three great reasons to use urinal mats in restrooms:
- urinal mats are made of antimicrobial materials, thus effectively discouraging the growth of bacteria; also, when your restroom is clean, insects stay away.
- urinal mats prevent slips and falls, and can help you avoid lawsuits related to accidents that happen due to the presence of puddles of urine.
- urinal mats can deodorize restrooms, making visits to them more comfortable.
On top of these, urinal mats can either be washable, or disposable yet biodegradable. Either way, you save money, promote sanitation, and protect your building or company’s reputation when you use urinal mats in the restrooms.